St. Peter's gate is the passageway to the impenetrable fortress built by Italian architect Domenico Trezzini on the request of Peter the Great.
The construction of the citadel would be followed by the city imagined by the emperor. The foundation stone of St. Petersburg, placed by the Tsar on May 27, 1703, had the following inscription: "In the year of grace 1703, the city of St. Petersburg was built by Tsar and Grand Duke Pëtr Alekseevič, Emperor of all of Russia.” The restoration of the gate was done using IBIX cleaning technologies. The operations involved the removal of plasterwork and stucco and the preservation of the precious Kikierno stone. Another phase of the intervention involved the cleaning of the new filling stone quoins. All the interventions were performed under the tutelage of the St. Petersburg Monuments and Fine Arts Office.
LOCATION OF THE INTERVENTION Country: Russia | City: SAINT PETERSBURG
SAINT PETERSBURG - St. Peter's Gate (1714)
Type of intervention:
Cleaning of Kikierno-dolomite stone. Removal of plasterwork and stucco. Cleaning/blasting of new filling stone quoins. The works were performed under the tutelage of the St. Petersburg Monuments and Fine Arts Office (KGHIOP).